Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday and will miss the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain that is scheduled to take place this coming weekend.
It will be the first time that Hamilton will miss a race in his F1 career, which started with McLaren in 2007. The Briton has already won the title this year, making it a record-equalling seventh title and picked up his 11th win of the season in Bahrain on Sunday. He is the most successful driver in the sport with a record 95 wins and 98 pole positions.
Soon after his Covid-19 positive result was announced, Lewis Hamilton put up a lengthy post on Twitter and said that he was gutted to not be able to race this weekend in Bahrain.
— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) December 1, 2020
“I’m gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others. I’m really lucky that I feel OK with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy,” Hamilton said.
He further added that he had tested negative thrice last week, but woke up on Monday with mild symptoms.
“Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive. I’ve immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days,” he added.
He further said that at Mercedes, his team has been taking every precaution and doing everything that they can to be safe.
“Since we started the season in June, my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations everywhere we’ve been in order to stay safe,” he said.